Monday, June 11, 2012

Eviction... and Pictures

At first I wasn't sure what kind of details people would want to know about this whole process. Turns out most want to know about the gross stuff. So here are some of the dirty deets. 


As you know, I wasn’t going to know how invasive the surgery was going to be until I woke up. Using a scope was the plan, but old scar tissue might have made that impossible. If that was case, then they would have had to open up my side more. That morning the surgeon came in and seemed pretty sure that the scope alone wasn’t going to be enough. The first thing I asked when I woke up (sorry mom and dad that I didn’t ask to see you) was what they did. The joy and relief I felt when they said the scope worked can’t be described with my vocabulary. If I wasn’t totally drugged up, I would’ve been doing some fist pumps for Jesus, that’s for sure. 
Before the surgery they gave me an epidural (not the c-section kind). It was higher up on my back, and it would give me direct pain meds to where I needed it. I was a fan, but it only stayed in until the next morning. In order to drain where they took out my cysta they put in a chest tube. They took that out the next day too when I stopped leaking. There was a stitch to hold it in place, so when they took it out they used the same one to stitch the hole. There was over a foot of tubing inside of my chest. No wonder I couldn’t breathe. 
There are some rumors going around that I was saying ridiculous things that first day. They are false. Everything I said was completely logical, just out of my character. My family wasn’t prepared. Things are a little fuzzy, but if you remind me of a conversation, I’ll remember it. For example, I reminded them a couple times that I had a hot body.
I requested to see pictures, so here they are. Personally, I think all of this is amazing. Hopefully you do too. If not, you should stop reading now. 

There she is.
My empty stomach... I was hungry.
Here's my lung before they deflated it so it would be out of the way for surgery.

This is my esophagus. The bulge in the top of the picture on the right is being caused by my cysta. She's such a trouble-maker.
This is the actual eviction process. First they uncovered her, and then drained her. She was about the size of a golf ball, and after the liposuction she ended up looking like a deflated balloon.
The top shows that the bulge in my esophagus is no longer there. And the light was to check for holes. Because having a leak in your food tube would be unfortunate. The bottom pictures show where my cysta was, and in the center of the hole you can see the back of my heart. Pretty cool stuff.


1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment