Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Rosa Parks: Civil Rights Activist, Chemist

The past couple weeks have been ridiculously busy. It was unbelievable. But you know what? I enjoyed it. I love being busy because it makes me feel productive. Now, I’m not asking for another week where I have three exams and a five page paper due. I’d be quite alright with a workload somewhere between nonstop studying and having a movie day because there isn’t anything else to do.
Since I would call myself a chem nerd, I procrastinate chemistry the most out of all my classes. I don’t think I’m smart, I just know a lot of chemistry. I know so much that on a test a couple weeks ago I missed a question because my knowledge of the topic was more in depth than what we discussed in class. Really? I lost five points because I know too much? What a pain in the acetate. 
You know what else is a pain? Our exams. Each question is worth five points because there are only twenty questions. Then most of them are annoying “word” questions. Come on! Give me some math problems! I’m aware that I should understand the concepts and be able to explain them, but how do you think I know how to do the math problems? Today this was one of our questions, and it was also a fill in the blank, “What did Rosa Park’s husband tell her she must do before he would marry her? Hint: She couldn’t do it before because she was trying to earn money to support her family.” What? I read the chapter and don’t recall reading anything about Rosa Parks. Even if she is mentioned, I refuse to go back and look through the chapter. What does she have to do with chemistry anyways? Luckily, I think we got credit for writing anything for an answer. But still, I blame this question for any others that I missed because of the distress it caused. Was this question just to see who reads the book? How about we look at the grades and see who is passing the class. That's probably the best indicator of who is paying attention to the material. 
A majority of the time this class flat out makes me mad and frustrated. I just wish that I could go back to this chemistry class...

I would also like to be back in this room, where I could “trust the process” and not be worried about seemingly pointless exam questions or losing points because I know more than everyone else.

Well now that I have succeeded in making myself feel angry and bitter, let’s talk about something else. During my busy week of studying, my background music was Explosions in the Sky. I’ve decided that when anyone reads my writing, they have to listen to EITS. My writing would seem far better and much more climactic. 


Now, go back and read this while listening to the above song. Exciting, right? You could even read this post and it would seem like an award-winning essay.


This guy know good music when he hears it.
Please note the Tranformer's sticker.

2 comments:

  1. Good choice--I love Explosions in the Sky! And that's totally weird that your teacher docked you points...maybe it's because you actually knew more than him and he was embarrassed. Dun, dun, dun! Regardless, you should have received extra credit instead. or a medal. I'll throw you a parade next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A parade won't be necessary, but it would be much appreciated if you could somehow give me my five points back.

    ReplyDelete