Sunday, February 6, 2011

Just Chillin' Out in Utah

I don’t have anything to report that I can devote an entire post too, so I’ll just talk about some random happenings in my life.
All of my classes this semester are ten minutes apart, unlike last semester when I could go back to the dorms between class. I’m done in time to go to Mass over at the Newman Center, so by the time I get back home it’s about 1:00. Now I know that a five hour day isn’t that bad. Actually, it’s pretty dang nice. However, I’m discovering that I don’t exactly have the same energy that I did a few years ago. How did we survive going to school for seven hours a day for twelve years? I really wish that I could have the energy of a fourteen year old again. I suppose there’s a reason why people start to drink coffee when they’re seventeen.
My english class is all about nature writing. We read about what others have said about nature, we write a response, and then we have a class discussion. Since it’s an honors class, a majority of the people feel that it’s necessary to sound intelligent. First off, you’re in an honors class. We know you’re smart. Secondly, I’m in the same honors class, so I’m smart too. Therefore, I’m not impressed by your use of obscure and lengthy adjectives. The other day I said something to the effect of, “you know, if you’re just chillin' out in the forrest...” and the people in my group acted as though they had never heard a person say the word chillin' before. 
Many people have asked what I think about Utah. Translation: “How is it living in the mormon capital of the world?” It’s hard to explain, but you can just feel the difference between the culture of Utah and the culture of Arizona. About 60% of Utah is LDS, and as ogden-ut.com says, “Ogden is also the most diverse of Utah's cities, with a non-Mormon population exceeding 50%” Glad to see I live in a culturally diverse city.  
Here are some examples of what it’s like to go to college in Utah. Last week we played jeopardy, and this guy missed his question and responded with, “Fuh!” He didn’t say the whole world, but you would’ve thought he did. The whole class began to laugh, and it sounded like little kids when they hear their parents swear for the first time. Then the last thing we read in english was an excerpt from a book about a man's adventures on the Appalachian Trail. Our instructor actually used white out to cover up some profanity. Really? Are we not in college? Oh yeah, that’s right. We’re going to college in Utah. 


Ogden’s weather is slightly colder than in Prescott. A few days ago there were 35 mph winds that made the windshield -15. I enjoy the cold when it’s refreshing, but I don’t appreciate it when it just takes your breath away. It’s my breath, and nothing has the right to steal it.
These temperatures turned poor Jasper into a freezer. Unfortunately, I forgot to remember what happens when you freeze carbonated drinks. Yesterday when I was driving I heard this high pitched squealing. I thought it was the radio, and then I remembered the 2 liter bottle of soda behind my seat that I bought last weekend. Of course, it froze and then started to leak all over the place. Fortunately, the explosion just happened so the mess wasn’t too out of control. 
Jasper hadn’t been taken to the car wash in probably three months, so I took him for a bath a couple weeks ago. We went to a nice car wash because I wanted to make sure all of the salt would be cleaned off. Well, this nice car wash was $11. Naturally, it snowed the next day. The advantage to going to a nice car wash is that they have 48 hour guarantees. Jasper really didn't need another bath, but the fact that he was getting one for free made me feel good. 
And then I found 5 bucks.


Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect hospitality, for through it some have unknowingly entertained angels.


7 comments:

  1. Lol - "It’s my breath, and nothing has the right to steal it."

    I had a 2 liter bottle of coke in my backseat for like a week and it never leaked.

    Also, I'm disappointed in your teacher for blocking out the word that starts with f and ends with uck. Haha. Even though this is Utah, people are still supposed to mature sometime and be able to handle profanity. Not to mention I hear tons of people using that word on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool story. I especially liked that the part when you found 5 bucks!!!! hahahaaa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon- You're lucky that your soda didn't decide to leak. I was panicked because I couldn't see how bad it was, and all I could see in my mind was soda filling the back of my car. Yes, I'm quite disappointed in my teacher as well.

    Morgan- Absalootely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fr. Stan would probably totally flip them out-
    "There ain't no party like a Catholic party cuz a Catholic party don't stop- UH."
    ...Yeah, we chillin'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know this Fr. Stan, but anyone who sings that song is cool in my book

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's wrong with the word "heck"? I insist that you go to the public library ASAP and check out Dr. Seuss, just to be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the word was "heck," that just makes the situation even more unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete