Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Robert was playing in the Pizza Bowl this weekend for Mile High (lame... go granite!). Seeing that I’ve never seen him play football before, I decided to make a quick weekend trip home. 
First off, over Labor Day weekend the water heater by my parents bedroom broke and flooded half the house. The wood floor, carpet, and paint needed to be redone in all our bedrooms. Let’s just say that I’m very glad I wasn’t home for that ordeal. This work was going to be in progress while I was there, so I would be joining my family at a hotel. 

That's where my bed normally is

Now, on to the real adventure. Ogden is about 45 minutes from the airport, so I was going to ride the bus/train to get there. To get to the Ogden train station I’d have to ride a bus from my dorm. On my way to the bus stop a lady from church saw me and gave me a ride there. That saved me some time, and I was on the train an hour ahead of planned. Now that I was in Salt Lake, I would take a bus to the airport. A bus was at the station, so I was doing really well on time. So I was talking to my mom about getting an earlier flight. As soon as I hung up with her I heard the bus driver yell, “airport!” Naturally, I jumped off the bus. Well, I was definitely not at the airport. Once I realized this, the bus was already gone. So I sat on a bench and figured out where I was. The blind center. That would explain why the driver was yelling... the blind people can’t exactly see what bus is there. At this point I was furious. I called UTA to find out when the next bus would be coming. After 20 minutes the same bus came, and I realized that we weren’t going back to the airport but back to the Salt Lake train station that I just came from. Then I had to wait 15 minutes for the next airport bus to come. Now I was really furious because I wasn’t going to be making an earlier flight and I was on the bus to the airport at the time I originally planned before I got the ride to the station in Ogden. After about 5 minutes of brewing over my stupidity, I just laughed at myself. 
Luckily the rest of the trip went smoothly, and my mom picked me up in Phoenix. Robert was pretty much the only person in my family who didn’t know I was coming. We made it to the last 5 minutes of the PHS homecoming game. I just walked up next to him. “How long are you here for?” and “What the hell?” were the first things out of his mouth. Then he ran to go tell his friends I was there. The rest of the weekend was spent hanging out with family, and of course some real mexican food at gramma and grampa’s house. 


Most people say that when they go back home things are completely different. Well they were lying. Everything was exactly the same (aside from our house being empty). It didn’t feel like I’d been gone for two months when I was with my family. The only weird feeling I had was when I got back to Ogden. You know how you feel when you get back home after being on vacation for a while? That Ah, home. Now I can relax feeling? That’s what I experienced in my dorm. 


And now after all my searching
After all my questions
I'm gonna call it home
I've got a brand new mindset
I can finally see the sunset
I'm gonna call it home

No comments:

Post a Comment